Friday, January 23, 2009

A Good Cry

Why is it that whenever I'm in an emotional place that makes me prone to crying, I feel the need to give a disclaimer to others, warning them that I will probably cry if we talk about anything of any depth. Why do I have to explain how I didn't get enough sleep the night before and point out that I'm still dealing with postpartum hormones?

And why is it that when those tears do rise to the surface, I try to shut them off and pretend like it's not taking everything in me to keep from bawling my head off? Why do I try so hard to avoid crying in front of other people?

I know this isn't just me; I've watched many other people do the same thing. You can see the tears well up and watch them swallow hard as if trying to swallow the emotion that's producing the tears.

Didn't God create us with the ability to cry for a reason? Don't you usually feel so much better after you've had a good cry?

What is it about us that makes us want to hide our tears? What are we afraid of?

I don't know. I'm just wondering. I guess I need good cry.